Backend Developer – Remote
About Harness Software
Harness is an app used by construction companies to better manage their health & safety program. We’re a small, dedicated group of people laser-focused on creating great technology coupled with a great customer experience. We are looking for a Backend Engineer that will push the boundaries of what Harness Software is capable of.
In addition to a generous compensation package that includes salary and a bonus schedule, you’ll get the opportunity to flourish within our employee-friendly culture.
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid Volunteer Hours
- Support for Professional Development
- Dress code: pajamas, if you’d like.
About The Position
As a Backend Developer you will be working alongside Frontend Developers and the Customer Success Team via email, chat, zoom, and phone.
You will be primarily responsible for developing and modifying the data layer of WordPress to support its consumption by our frontend web & mobile apps.
Specific Responsibilites Include:
- Assist Frontend engineers with the server-side web application data while following Harness Software Code Standards.
- Optimize web applications and assets for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Senior or Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- You have 2+ years professional experience as a Backend Engineer.
- You have a strong grasp of WordPress plugin and theme structure, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You are knowledgeable in writing performant data queries using WPGraphQL.
- You have a strong understanding of Git version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) practices.
- Experience with MariaDB/MySQL.
- Experience with accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Composer, Webpack, and Gulp.
- Experience with CI pipelines and services like Github Actions or BuddyCI
Ideal Personal Qualities
- Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong time management skills
- Desire to learn in a dynamic startup environment
Bonus Points If:
- You have any knowledge of, or experience with construction
- You have advanced project management certification or training
- Experience or Interest in WordPress plugins like:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Carbon Fields
- Gravity Forms
How To Apply
- Rather than a cover letter, tell us a story about a time you were faced with a problem and how you handled it. This can be from your personal or professional experience.
The actual content is less important than providing us with a glimpse of your personality so we can determine how relatable you are with our clients and the rest of our team. Bonus points if you get our CEO to laugh 🙂
- Email your story and your resume to email@example.com